– Look, all I’m saying is if you’re one of the people that brag about “never reading Harry Potter,” now is your chance to, you know… actually read it? It’s like a comforting blanket, a hug from an old friend, something that’s been getting me through the past week. Plus, great for the whole family to enjoy.
– As your basic millennial in LA, my favorite bookstore is – you guessed it, The Last Bookstore downtown. While I was unemployed last summer, I went there every week to read a few pages, as one does. Ended up finishing it over Christmas and wish I had just bought it the first time I held it. A beautiful love story that takes place during a politically stressful time in 1953. Sound familiar? And set in Tehran, so you can squeeze a little culture in, as a treat.
Oldies: Indiana Jones Series (Netflix)
– You’ll be surprised how many people haven’t seen this full series. Action, Adventure, and Romance – what more do you need on a Saturday night in? Not as daunting as a Star Wars marathon, but you still get the satisfaction of finishing a trilogy you probably haven’t revisited in the past few years.
Doc: Don’t F**k with Cats (Netflix)
– I won’t lie, I was also put off by the title – I’m a dog person. But I promise you will not turn off the TV until you find out who tortured and murdered several cats. *no animals were harmed in the making of this email blast*
Drama/Comedy: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (Amazon)
– If you loved JoJo Rabbit and are fans of Taika Waititi as much as we are, enjoy this comedy-drama about a boy and his foster father who become subjects of a manhunt after they get stranded in the New Zealand wilderness.
Comedy: Fighting with my Family (Amazon)
– Unfortunately, growing up with two older brothers, I learned what an RKO was very early on. Watch this tight-knit wrestling family embark on a once in a lifetime opportunity to try out for the WWE.
Romance: Brooklyn (Amazon)
– Bummed you didn’t get to partake in St. Patrick’s Day? Us too. Watch our favorite Saorise Ronan, a young Irish Immigrant, fall in love with a charming Italian boy in 1950s Brooklyn. Plus: Olive Bridge fav Domhnall Gleeson is incredible in it as well.
– Yes, this show was formerly known as Scrotal Recall. Yes, the show is about a young man telling all the women he’s slept with that he has chlamydia. And yes, it’s still an incredibly wonderful rom-com in television form.
– I’m probably going to get a lot of sh*t for this, but when I tell you SMASH, the now cancelled musical TV show about putting on a musical, is exactly what you need right now, I’m 100% correct. Also, if anyone in charge happens to be forwarded this – can we please have an actual BOMBSHELL musical to stream? Or Season 3? Please?
– Does your family also all turn into FBI agents while watching a true crime? Sometimes I worry why my family thinks they understand how a villain’s mind works. That’s the job of FBI agents Holden Ford and Bill Tench in Mindhunter. They attempt to understand and catch serial killers by studying their damaged psyches.
High Fidelity (Hulu)
– Zoe Kravitz owns a record shop in Brooklyn. She has fits for days in this show! And she’s not juggling a bunch of men, she’s figuring out what happened in all her past relationships that caused the biggest breakup of her life to happen. Slightly delusional, I relate to her character in a way that I should not admit. You will want to binge, so make sure you start early in the day.
– An ex told me to listen to this a few years ago, and quite frankly this podcast episode was the only positive impact he made on my life. Female entrepreneurs FTW !
– If your high school experience was also defined by SUPERBAD, listen to Jonah and Michael reflect on where their 13 year old friendship all started.
– “Hi, my name is Chris. Is this…on?” We love him.
– He’s currently in a sweater/vest phase that I unfortunately cannot get on board with, but he sounds so good. (We are biased)
It’s Friday so you know what that means…new music! Here are a few of our favorites:
And if you listened to this week’s podcast recommendation (Reply All: The Case of the Missing Hit), here is the song that is also stuck in our heads:
– Every night is game night at my house. Jackboxgames has endless games you can connect to your TV with your phone as the controller. I promise this is not a #ad.
Make your own mini golf – If your family likes golf as much as mine does, set up your own mini golf course in your house. You’ll be surprised how many obstacles